LEAF Festival’s Kids’ Village Starbursts Across Festival
Asheville, NC - The 38th LEAF Festival is delighted to announce that LEAF’s single kids’ village will starburst across the festival grounds, May 8th-11th, into seven mini-villages within the Land of Lake Eden. Every village will have food, handcraft and healing arts elements mixed with interactive art activities for kids, teens and adults.
“We are answering the call of the parents and making the entire festival more of a family experience. Everyone can enjoy the activities in each village including the kids and people without kids,” said Morgan Markowitz, LEAF’s Family Adventure Director.
Classic lake activities like swimming, the zipline, canoes, kayaks and stand-up paddleboards will still be a big part of LEAF Festival. Youth and parents will easily find their way from village to village with a treasure quest map specifically for kids, treating each stop is like its own adventure.
1. Barn Village - Appalachian Voices will host an interactive game for kids. Warren Wilson Renaissance Arts will return with blacksmith, fiber and timber demonstrations for the whole family.
2. Roots Village - Look for Roots Family Stage, Toy Boat Circus and more by the hemlock tree in Eden Field overlooking the majestic and breathtaking lakes and mountains.
3. Easel Rider Village - On the paved path heading toward main stage. Expect the rainbow colored Easel Rider Mobile Art Lab to host a variety of activities including Creation with Colors, Imagination Station, an instrument petting zoo and a Mama-Baby Tent for new parents.
4. Adventure Village - Located to the right of the main stage will be the usual LEAF Outreach Tent and raffle, plus an art gallery and interactive truck painting with Tommy and D.O.G., the pot-bellied pig. Kids and adults will also enjoy playing in the Jelly Dome, a large interactive dome with misting waters shaped like a Giant Jelly Fish.
5. Sprouts Village - The lawn between Brookside Dance Hall and the beach will be home for roaming performers, puppeteers, hoop dancers and poi. Sprouts Corner Youth Vendors can sell handmade crafts and young stars are invited to busk on the Youth Talent Stage.
6. Elfhaven Village - Fun activities like the Brother Wolf Animal Rescue petting zoo, trampoline, life-size hamster ball, and the climbing wall will stay near the former LEAFlet Kid’s Village. It is just down the hill from Elfhaven Childcare with another Mama-Baby location inside Buckeye Lodge.
7. World Wide Play Field - Games and matches for all ages will take place throughout the weekend with soccer, ultimate frisbee and kickball. Singles kickball at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday will replace the Speed Dating.
Purchase tickets online at theLEAF.org or by phone at 828-686-8742. All prices are discounted through March 31st. Adult prices start at $41 for the day or $147 for the weekend. Additional discounts apply for local commuting residents and youth ages 10 through 17. Children 9 and younger are always free. Limited car camping & bunks in lodge rooms are available.
# # #
LEAF Community Arts is a non-profit organization in which all donations and festival profits fund music and arts education programs locally and globally. Since becoming a non-profit in 2004, LEAF has served more than 42,000 youth with programs in more than 15 Asheville community locations and 10 countries worldwide. The 19 year-old twice yearly LEAF Festival is now the flagship fundraiser for two divisions of arts education programs, LEAF Schools & Street and LEAF International. In 2013, the non-profit legally changed its name to LEAF Community Arts, making Lake Eden Arts Festival a term only used for historical reference. www.theleaf.org
WHERE: at Beautiful Lake Eden, Asheville-Black Mountain, NC
WHEN: LEAF Festivals 2014: MAY 8-11 & OCTOBER 16-19
LEAF Community Arts: theLEAF.org
LEAF Announces The 38th Festival Lineup,
A Celebration of Global Funk
LEAF is thrilled to announce the stellar lineup of performing artists for the Spring 2014 LEAF Festival, taking place May 8-11 in Black Mountain, NC. “Free Your Funky Self” at the 38th LEAF Festival and experience multiple cultures with Grammy-winning Funk-master Bootsy Collins & the Funk Unity Band; American Chicano rockers Los Lobos celebrating their 40th anniversary; and the experimental world fusion trio known as Beats Antique.
Returning LEAF favorites include Afro-pop and Reggae influenced Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars and a Brooklyn Bhangra dance party with Red Baraat. The 38th LEAF features more Grammy nominated performers such as the harmonious duo, Darrell Scott & Tim O'Brien (Americana/Roots), Boukman Eksperyans (Hatian Rock/Reggae) and twice-nominated Locos por Juana (Afro-Caribbean, Hip-Hop/Funk). The lineup rounds out with genre-bending performances from soulful and funky multi-instrumentalist Zach Deputy, transcendental folk-rockers Elephant Revival and many more.
LEAF Festival musicians provide the soundtrack to a memorable experience filled with cultural treasures and fun around every corner.Combining a great diversity of names and faces with a myriad of community dances including Salsa, Swing, the Waltz and traditional, contemporary and techno forms of Contra; poetry and puppetry slams; healing arts workshops; folk art and handcraft exhibitions, installations and interactive demonstrations; camping, watersports and outdoor adventure; and kid’s activities throughout the festival.
Purchase tickets online at theLEAF.org or by phone at 828-686-8742. All prices are discounted through March 31st. Adult prices start at $41 for the day or $147 for the weekend. Additional discounts apply for local commuting residents and youth ages 10 through 17. Children 9 and younger are always free. Limited car camping, lodge rooms and cabins are available. Funky costumes and festive attitudes welcome!
Spring LEAF 2014 Performing Arts Lineup:
Bootsy Collins & the Funk Unity Band • Los Lobos (40th year anniversary) • Beats Antique • Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars • Red Baraat • Darrell Scott & Tim O'Brien
Boukman Eksperyans • Zach Deputy • Elephant Revival • Locos por Juana • The Lee Boys • Town Mountain • Roosevelt Collier Presents: Funk in the Round • Zing Experience • Turkuaz • Billy Jonas Band
Contra w/ Wild Asparagus & Perpetual Emotion • Alash Tuvan Throat Singers • Kim & Reggie Harris • The Whitetop Mountaineers • Empire Strikes Brass • The Fritz • Adams, Queen & Rifkin • Molasses Creek • Techno Contra w/ DJ Jor-D • Unifire Theater • One Leg Up • Zulu Connection • Montuno • Infinite Geometry•Darrell Rose • Whee Ahh Fairie Kin • Toy Boat Circus Arts • Jake Hollifield Art V Experience • The Screaming J's • Kickin' It Crew Jelly Dome • LEAF Poetry Slam w/ James Nave • Rushfest Contra Experience • Alex Krug Combo • Contra Callers: Diane Silver, George Marshall, & Jesse Edgerton
LEAF is a nonprofit creating culture and connecting communities through music and arts. LEAF began in 1995 as a world music and arts festival and transformed into a nonprofit in 2004, bringing community music and arts education programs to the Asheville Area. In 2013, the nonprofit officially changed its name to LEAF Community Arts and is known simply as LEAF. 100% of membership fees and donations fund the outreach programs.
LEAF Festival Voted #1 By WNC Residents:
#1 Music Festival • #1 Festival for Kids • #1 Festival for Camping
LEAF Festival - World Music and Arts in a Majestic Outdoor Family Setting
LEAF Schools & Streets - Asheville Area Arts Education Programs
LEAF International - Cultural Traditions Arts Education Programs in 9 countries
Check out our new names through social media
Twitter: LEAF Community Arts @LEAF_Community
Facebook: LEAF Community Arts
YouTube: LEAF Community Arts